Government of Gujarat has declared a comprehensive and innovative IT Policy 2006-2011. Salient features of this policy are as following:
- The State government will initiate steps to enhance the supply of skilled manpower for IT/ITES such as industry-institute partnerships for enhancement of industry relevant skills, optimum use of existing educational infrastructure including distance learning through satellite communication facilities available at Bhaskaracharaya Institute for Space Application and Geo-informatics (BISAG)
- Collaboration with NASSCOM for conducting NAC test for facilitating benchmarking of BPO manpower.
- Promotion of Mega IT projects on case to case basis.
- Promotion of IT parks / SEZs for enhancing availability of ready built up space for IT/ITeS sector.
- Provision of self certification under Labour Laws.
- In addition of relaxation of Labour Laws Gujarat’s SEZs law provides host of exemptions from state specific taxes and cess etc.
- The State Government has already set up Gujarat IT venture fund under the aegis of Gujarat Venture Finance Ltd., Ahmedabad.
- IT Advisory Committee constituted under the Chairmanship of Chief Secretary with NASSCOM and industry as members.
- Due to its most progressive policies Gujarat is one of the leading state in e-governance.
- All new Information Technology Industry units have been exempted from the payment of Electricity Duty for a period of 5 years from the date of which the said unit commences its commercial operation.
- The captive power unit set up by eligible IT / New IT & TIeS units will be exempted from payment of electricity duty as per provision of section 3 of the Bombay Electricity Duty Act, 1958.
- IT & ITES unit will be considered eligible for exemption from power cuts.
- In order to facilitate adequate availability of floor space to IT/ITES units in the urban centers, the government will permit more than the permissible (Floor Space Index) FSI to IT Parks subject to payment of premium of such additional FSI at market rate.
- Gujarat Informatics Ltd. has been identified as nodal agency for promotion of IT in the State.