Department of Science & Technology, Government of Gujarat is providing accessible and usable products to everyone. In doing so, we designed our website to conform with AA standard of W3C's Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) , and the guidelines of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) , Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) and U.S. Federal Government Section 508 Guidelines . If you have any problems using our website, please get in touch, and we will do our best to cater for your needs.
You can navigate the main sections of this site using the keyboard access keys outlined below.
|0||Accessibility Information (this page)|
|1||Skip to Main Content|
|3||Go to Navigation|
|4||Default Font Size|
|5||Increase Font Size (switch to bigger font size)|
|6||Increase Font Size (switch to biggest font size)|
|9||Screen Reader Access|
Browser & Operating System Access Keys
Unfortunately, each browser and operating system has a different combination for access keys. The table below outlines the access key instructions for popular browsers and operating systems.
|Operating System||Browser||Access Key Instructions|
|Windows||Internet Explorer 6+||Alt + Access Key, Enter|
|Windows||Mozilla Firefox 1||ALT + Access Key|
|Windows||Mozilla Firefox 2+||ALT + SHIFT + Access Key|
|Windows||Opera 7+||SHIFT + ESC, Access Key|
|Mac OS X||Safari||CTRL + Access Key|
|Mac OS X||Internet Explorer 5+||Ctrl + AccessKey|
|Mac OS X||Mozilla||Ctrl + Access Key|
Adjusting Text Size with Browser Setting
Increasing and decreasing the text font differs for each browser and operating system. The table below outlines instructions to increase and decrease font on popular browsers and operating systems.
|Windows||Internet Explorer 6+||View > Text Size|
|Windows||Mozilla Firefox 1+||View > Text Size|
|Windows||Opera 7+||View > Zoom|
|Mac OS X||Safari||View > Text Size|
|Mac OS X||Internet Explorer 5+||View > Text Zoom|
|Mac OS X||Mozilla||View > Text Size|
Other Accessibility Features
Features incorporated in Department of Science & Technology, Government of Gujarat website to make it easily accessible are:
- Skip to Main Content: Quick access to the core content on the page is provided without going through repetitive navigation using the keyboard.
- Go to Navigation: Quick access to the main Navigation on the page is provided without going through repetitive navigation using the keyboard.
- Descriptive Link Text: Brief description of a link is provided using descriptive phrases instead of just using words such as 'Read more' and 'Click here' as link text. Further, if a link opens a Website in a new window, the description specifies the same.
- Identification of file type and file size: Information about alternate file types, such as PDF, Word, Excel along with the file size has been provided within the link text to help users identify the same. In addition, icons for different file types have been provided with the links. This helps users in deciding whether they wish to access the link. For example, if a link opens a PDF file, the link text specifies its file size and file type.
- Table Headers: The table headings are marked and associated with their corresponding cells in each row. This enables a screen reader to read out the column and row header of any cell for the user.
- Headings: The Web page content is organized using appropriate headings and subheadings that provide a readable structure. H2 indicates the main heading, whereas H3 indicates a subheading.
- Titles: An appropriate name for each Web page is specified that helps you to understand the page content easily.
- Alternate Text: Brief description of an image is provided for users with visual disability. If you are using a browser that supports only text or have turned off the image display, you can still know what the image is all about by reading the alternate text in absence of an image. In addition, some browsers display the alternate text in the form of a tooltip when the user moves the mouse pointer over the image.
- Explicit Form Label Association: A label is linked to its respective control, such as text box, check box, radio button, and drop-down list. This enables the assistive devices to identify the labels for the controls on a form.
- Form instructions and errors: Instruction text and error messages for forms are displayed dynamically i.e. while the user is navigating the form and filling up the form. To make this information available to users including screen reader users, ARIA techniques have been used. To ensure users are able to access this important form information, help for the same has been provided.
- Consistent Navigation Mechanism: Consistent means of navigation and style of presentation throughout the Website has been incorporated.
- Keyboard Support: The website can be browsed using a keyboard by pressing the Tab and Shift + Tab keys.
- Customized Text Size: The size of the text on the Web pages can be changed either through the browser, through the Accessibility Options page or by clicking on the text sizing icons present at the top of each page.